Home NIGERIA Top Nigerian Newspapers Headlines For Today, Friday, 3rd September, 2021

Top Nigerian Newspapers Headlines For Today, Friday, 3rd September, 2021

0
Top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines For Today, Saturday, 24th April, 2021

Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspapers headlines in Nigeria for today, Friday, 3rd September 2021

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday received the final report of the forensic audit of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

Naija News reports that the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godswill Akpabio presented the report to Buhari.

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, received the documents which was conveyed in sacks, on behalf of the president.

Speaking after handing over, Akpabio, disclosed that the forensic audit covered a total of 13,777 contracts awarded from 2001 to 2019 at a final contract value of N3, 274,206,032,213.24.

Reacting, Buhari through Malami vowed not to spare anyone involved in the misappropriation of six trillion naira pumped into the NDDC.

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said that over 5890 Boko Haram/ISWAP insurgents and their families have so far surrendered to the Nigerian troops in the North East.

Addressing a press conference in Abuja on Thursday, Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Bernard Onyeuko, said the surrendered terrorists include their commanders and foot soldiers.

Onyeuko added that 565 of the recently surrendered terrorists have been handed over to the Borno State Government for further management after thorough profiling.

The DHQ stated that no fewer than 48 of Boko Haram terrorists, 20 arrested including fighters and commanders were neutralized and their logistic base and facilities including 3 gun trucks were destroyed in the process.

The Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina has given more explanation on the decision of the President to terminate the appointment of two Ministers.

It will be recalled that President Buhari in an unexpected move on Wednesday, terminated the appointments of the Minister of Agriculture, Mohammed Sabo Nanono, and the Minister of Power, Mr. Saleh Mamman.

Defending the move and shedding more light on the decision, presidential spokesperson, Femi Adesina submitted on Thursday that the two Ministers fell below expectation, hence their dismissal.

Speaking during an appearance on Channels TV, Adesina said the two men were found wanting when their performances were reviewed and with less than two years of his tenure to go, President Buhari had to let them go so as to finish strong.

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has called for urgent steps to be taken to protect schoolchildren from kidnap particularly in the northern region where such incidents have become rampant.

Atiku made the call on Thursday while reacting to the latest of such kidnap episodes in Zamfara State where 73 students of Government Day Secondary school, Kaya in Maradun LGA were abducted on Wednesday.

The unfortunate incident has also been confirmed by the Zamfara Police Command with the addition that security agents have gone after the perpetrators.

But reacting to the abduction, Atiku who wrote on Twitter said if the situation is not urgently addressed, the northern region will continue to lag behind in the education of children compared to other regions.

He also recommended the government sets up a special protection unit charged with the safety of the schools and the school children alone to forestall such attacks in the future.

All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday announced the expulsion of a chieftain, Sulaiman Adamu, for wishing President Muhammadu Buhari’s death.

Naija News recalls that Adamu, the Caretaker Chairman of the party in Yola South Local Government Area of Adamawa State, had wished Buhari contracted COVID-19 and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo replaced him.

In a statement to newsmen, APC National Secretary, John Akpan Udoedehe, said Adamu’s expulsion is with immediate effect.

He added that the decision to sack the party chairman was part of the resolutions reached at the 16th meeting of the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) held at the National Secretariat in Abuja on Wednesday.

The Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Senator George Akume has abandoned the people of his constituency who are the ones most affected by the frequent Fulani herdsmen in Benue State.

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom made the allegation while reacting to a call by the Minister for a state of emergency to be declared in Benue over the incessant fights and clashes between herdsmen and farmers/residents.

Ortom further said Akume has never condemned the killings nor deemed it fit to visit the internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the state though he is a federal minister, describing the situation as painful.

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) national Caretaker committee, Governor Mai Mala Buni has declared that the court order which purportedly sacked him from office is of no effect on him.

Governor Buni in a statement on Thursday by his media aide, Mamman Mohammed observed that the court order is restricted to the leadership of the APC in Delta State and not the national leadership of the party.

It will be recalled that a High Court sitting in Asaba, Delta State on Wednesday restrained the interim chairman and others from parading themselves as members of the party’s CECPC until the determination of a substantive suit before the court.

The Deputy Chairman of the party in Delta State, Olorogun Elvis Ayomanor, had led other officials of the party in the state to the Court, challenging the outcome of the Ward Congress in the State.

However, Buni in his reaction through the statement by his aide said the court ruling only affects the forthcoming ward Congress Delta state and does not affect other states.

It, therefore, urged those termed as mischief-makers in the statement to stop twisting the court order to suit their own purposes.

Two prominent traditional rulers in Oyo State, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, and the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji were surprisingly unable to gain entrance during the commissioning of the renovated Lekan Salami Stadium, Adamasingba in Ibadan.

It was reported that security agents on duty during the event which took place on Wednesday in Oyo State, prevented the traditional rulers from entering the event venue despite the Very Important Personality (VIP) Invitation Cards with them.

The traditional rulers later left the venue without attending the event following the incident with the security operatives.

The media aides of the two monarchs confirmed the development as earlier reported by Naija News.

But reacting to the incident, the Oyo State government on Thursday in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Taiwo Adisa said the traditional rulers were duly invited and expected at the event.

On why they were however unable to gain entry, the statement explained that the royal fathers were unable to access the designated VVIP Drop Off zone due to the surging crowd that turned out for the event.

It added that the security operatives told them to make use of another gate and noted that the state government holds the two traditional rulers in the highest esteem.

The Nigerian Army has said that its troops have neutralized six terrorists of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

In a statement on Thursday by its spokesman, Brigadier-General Onyema Nwachukwu, the Army said the troops also recovered arms and ammunition from the slain insurgents.

Nwachukwu added that four AK 47 rifles and four Magazines, each loaded with 30 rounds of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition were recovered by the troops.

He disclosed that troops of 25 Brigade, operating under the aegis of Joint Task Force, North East, Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK) neutralized the terrorists during a gun duel.

According to him, the terrorists who were on espionage along Damboa-Bulabulin- Maiduguri road ran into a fighting patrol team at Kukawa and were neutralized in the fight that ensued with the troops.

The Enugu State House of Assembly, on Thursday, passed the anti-open grazing bill into law.
It was gathered that after going through the bill on a clause by clause consideration, lawmakers passed the bill

Naija News reports that following the passage, the Assembly would send the bill to Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for his assent.

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association had asked the Assembly to extend passage of the bill for one month in other to give them enough time to make input.

Those are the top Nigerian newspapers headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.


Previous articleGiant, friendly whale surprises paddle boarder off the coast of Argentina
Next articleBest Bases In Trumbull Valley In State Of Decay 2

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here