2 Job Openings at Serengeti Breweries Limited – January 2022
Job Title; Shopper Manager – Beer /Spirit
Job Description :
Shopper Manager – beer /Spirit reporting to Head of Customer Marketing
Planning of the budget/spending; Financial metrics for activities (BTL/TTL) working with cross-functional team of Marketing/Sales/Commercial Finance
Follow achievement of planned Financial/spending KPI’s in collaboration with the Activations team
The role holder must demonstrate the below
- Be authentic
- Stand for what you feel is right and important
- Do what you say without exception
- Role model the Diageo Values
- Build and sustain trust with others through real relationships
- Demonstrate the kind of personal integrity that inspires others
- Stand in the future; be active in shaping the destiny of Diageo
- Turn big dreams into reality; energize and inspire others to deliver the exceptional
- Be imaginative; enable yourself and others to go beyond the norm
Bring the Diageo purpose to life
- Show a deep personal commitment to the Diageo purpose and enable others to connect to it personally
- Be an ambassador for Diageo externally
- Own the responsible drinking and corporate citizenship agenda
- Develop the habit of sharing and celebrating success
Create the conditions for people to succeed
- Provide context to enable others to think, decide and act
- Build alignment; commit to outstanding teamwork
- Know your people; invest time in their growth
- Value and model great people management
- Make the most of the diversity that people bring
Consistently deliver great performance
- Demonstrate deep personal accountability for great performance
- Move effectively between strategy and operational detail
- Demonstrate unwavering accountability for Diageo’s total success – we are ‘one Diageo’
- Make a difference; judge, where and when to, intervene
- Know and be responsive to the external influences on our business
- Ensure controls are in place to guarantee Diageo’s performance and reputation
- Stay focused on your priorities – demonstrate rigor and brilliant execution
- Have humility; be open to learning and ideas from others
- Demonstrate self-awareness and know your strengths and development needs
- Commit to growing your own capability and experience to the benefit of yourself, our people, and Diageo
This role is a managerial position.
Understand the Commercial Opportunity
- Market and Competitor Knowledge: the ability to understand and relate the market dynamics and commercial landscape in which the company operates to their role and use this information to make good business decisions.
- Brand and Category Knowledge (Customer): knowledge and understanding of Diageo and competitor brands & categories and why customers and consumers purchase them.
- Customer Understanding: ability to understand customers’ needs and motivations and then the use of this information to achieve objectives and/or unlock growth.
- Shopper Understanding and Insights: ability to understand shoppers’ needs and motivations and then the use of this information to achieve objectives and/or unlock growth.
- Channel Dynamics: the ability to understand and relate the channel dynamics and Route To Consumers (RTC) landscape in which the company operates and use this information to make good business decisions.
- Outlet Segmentation: ability to understand the outlet universe and then use this mapping to define, plan, propose activities
- Channel Dynamics: the ability to understand and relate the channel dynamics and RTC landscape in which Serengeti Breweries Ltd operates and use this information to make good business decisions.
Develop Strategy and Plan Execution
- Channel and Customer Activity & Investment Planning: ability to build the relevant activity plans so that plans can be executed brilliantly and SBL can achieve set volume & Financials targets.
- Plan & Develop Growth Drivers: ability to identify and then build/adapt the growth drivers that will enable the delivery of the brand, trade and category strategies of SBL
- Joint Customer Plan: ability to develop a joint collaborative plan with our customers.
- Annual Planning Cycle – Own the yearly planning cycle related to the Category.
- Customer Proposition: the ability to use proven selling techniques to write and deliver propositions that exceed customer expectations, satisfy needs and create win-win opportunities.
- Channel Sales Briefing: ability to engage and prepare the sales teams to brilliantly execute activities with customers to deliver agreed KPI’s
- Customer Marketing Functional Coaching: the ability to use all our talent and capability processes to build the skills necessary to develop themselves and their people.
- Commercial Acumen: the ability to have a good understanding of the commercials (spend, volume, margin etc, and use this information and understanding to make good business decisions that drive profitable growth for Serengeti Breweries Ltd and its customers.
- S&OP Activity Review: ability to make correlations between the performance of in-store activities and sell-out and to correctly inform product forecasts and improve activities performance.
- Managing Promotional Execution: ability to understand all the elements of monitoring and managing in-store/outlet execution.
Measure & Evaluate and Insights
- Activity Effectiveness & Evaluation: ability to pre-and post-assess the impact activities have on the business results and make informed decisions about them.
- Quarterly and Annual Channel Review: ability to understand measure and evaluate their total investment plans in channels to ensure that these investments are achieving maximum levels of return and driving mutually beneficial growth.
- Commit to adhering to all the relevant Diageo Policies, controls procedures, and standards.
The Shopper Manager has full responsibility following Deliverables:
- Own the development of BTL program plans and agree to the roles and responsibilities key resources and budget implications.
- Working very closely with the brand team, and starting with strong insights, this role leads the creation of high-quality and scalable single brand Shopper Marketing growth drivers for execution. The creation is for all beer/spirit Trademark brands including innovations
- Develops compelling Customer Propositions for Sales Driver activities using detailed brand & customer knowledge.
- Management of cross-functional project teams for effective planning of BTL activities (coordinate and ensure each team delivers the requirement for bold execution on time
- Ensure All BTL Marketing activities proposals are in line with the trading strategy and that customer insight Field constraints and customer information are considered.
- Make marketing BTL concepts operational
- Support M&E of activities working with CPAM/Brand team/Finance
- Identify sales gaps in regions and propose corrective action
- Deliver all projects on or under the agreed budget
- Input into the JUBP development with strong and in-depth commercial and Customer insights working with the brand team, innovation Team, Field sales team and Finance team
- Management One plan review meetings
- Actively support volume forecasting via the use of trends and analyses of data as a primary input.
- Inputs Joint Customer plans (JCP) for Top Customers and ensured ruthless planning of the agreed activities within the JCP
- Ensure key controls are in place and respect for each activity.
- Ensure field teams and company staff engagement to programs through clear and inspiring briefings with the support capability team when applicable
- Delivers Inspiration and Toolkits that are ‘Channel Ready’ across countries for Execution
- Working with, and managing Agencies to set very highest standards and deliver the very latest and best Shopper Marketing work in the industry
- Deliver tools that conform to the developed Physical Availability principles, covering the full Path to Purchase, and in accordance with the M&E learnings.
- This role will also control the flexible resourcing work plan across all Shopper Marketing and Brand teams. As part of this the role will take budgetary responsibility for ‘creation’, and the selection of appropriate agencies and the agency models.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Strong commercial acumen and an understanding of the Tanzanian beer/spirit market
- 4+ years of work experience in Commercial/Marketing Functions
- Computer literacy (Microsoft environment)
- Minimum 3 years Brand marketing, sales role
- Able to demonstrate success in developing & leading a team. Evidence of strong leadership and influencing skills
- Excellence project management skills that deliver projects on time and on budget
- Strong influential skills
- Strategic thinkers
- Competitive intelligence & insights
- Measure and evaluation of projects
- Good interpersonal communication skills
Barriers to Success in Role:
- Inability to make connections across a broad agenda
- Inability to manage own time & workload
- Inability to develop fully integrated plans grounded in reality to deliver on required outputs within budget and time constraints
- Inability to garner wide support quickly from sales
- Too much time in Office-need to know the consumer, customer, and market trends
- Inability to properly identify risks, and plan mitigation steps.
- Inability to influence and inspire individuals and teams from different Functions and operate brilliantly in a matrix organization
- Inability to turn consumer, Customer insight into financially viable winning activities concept
- Poor multi-tasks capabilities & Poor people management style
Job Title: Reliability Engineer
Job Description :
Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 25%.
SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited, commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam and changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002. The company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and now has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi.
SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager and Serengeti Lite. Other brand portfolios include Guinness smooth, Guinness, Pilsner Lager. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirit brands such as Johnnie Walker®, Smirnoff Vodka®, Bailey’s Irish Cream ®, Richot®, Bond 7 Whiskey® and Gilbeys Gin®
Achievement of the overall business plans impacting on COGS by ensuring all maintenance tasks are executed with optimal costs and minimizing quality defects in the final products.
SBL operates in a competitive environment and in vast geography. The Inflation rates remain high in Tanzania and the average income per capita is less than 1 USD per day. The GDP growth is estimated at 7% and is expected to grow to 7.5% as investment, gold production, trade and tourism pick up. There is growing consumer affluence and consumerism, giving rise to greater opportunities in our product categories
Purpose of Role:
- Delivery of outstanding performance in all aspects of the balanced scorecard (Safety, Quality, Environment, Asset Care, Delivery, Productivity, Cost and Morale).
- Ensure Availability and Reliability of all Assets in the Brewery and drive improvements in Engineering/Maintenance Processes.
- Overall responsible for effective Maintenance Planning and Execution, OEM Audits, AC Audits and Maintenance Programs Development for all Assets in the Brewery.
- Maintain Health & Safety Standards as per Diageo Management Systems.
- Drive Continuous Improvement in Asset care for the Brewery through monitoring performance of existing Equipment, facilitating OEM & AC Audits.
- Maintaining CMMS system health by ensuring user competence, MMS Asset Care practices are integrated into Tier 1 operational processes, system compliance and monitoring and driving Asset care KPIs.
- Resource planning to support asset care. (spares, manpower, time) are prepared in advance to when required.
- Be an expert coach role model in the use of Root Cause Problem Solving and 5Whys to ensure permanent fixes are determined and delivered.
- Coach Operational reams in Asset Care practices to ensure Asset Care capability is developed.
- Take responsibility for the repair and maintenance budget to ensure prioritisation and control of spending.
- Take ownership of the development of maintenance and machine technical skills across shifts.
- Development and Conservation of Maintenance Programme by maintaining a database for all Assets, facilitating New Equipment setup with regards to Spares, SAP PMs and Maintenance Schedule.
- Manage people performance through conducting Performance Reviews, Competency Assessment, Preparing Capability Development Plans and ensuring manpower requirements are met as per Diageo standards/guidelines.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- B. Eng. Graduate (Mechanical / Electrical/ Industrial Engineering)
- At least three 3 years experience in the engineering field, same capacity and preferably in FMCG.
- Knowledge of maintenance management systems and asset care best practices
- In-depth Understanding and Application of Reliability Concepts and Maintenance Programs.
- Ability to manage people performance, coaching and development of a multi-disciplined team
- Proactive structured problem-solving skills learned through exposure to Lean, Six Sigma, TPM or ManEx.
- Track record of maintenance management – KPI improvement, planning effectiveness and maintenance schedule adherence, CI, backlog, maintenance mix
- Project Management skills & experience
- Proficient in the use of standard business (MS Office), SAP PM and Diageo packages.
Barriers to Success in Role (Optional):
- Uncertain breakdowns and poor machine efficiencies.
- Shift programs where the incumbent works during odd hours and during weekends and public holidays.
- The complex interplay of several departments with a large workforce.
- Lack of Flexibility to Working Environment and Hours and Dedication to own Work and Responsibilities.